Thursday, July 17, 2008

Should Mandatory Drug Tests be Required for Welfare Check Recipients?


Ok, we have all seen the email that has been going around for quite some time:


Subject: Urine test

Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me. I pay
my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order
to get that paycheck. I am required to pass a random urine test, which I
have no problem with.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my tax money to people who
don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to
get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their
feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone to simply sit on
their ass. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people
had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

Pass it on, if you agree."


I can agree that every job I have ever been at, I have had to take a drug test before starting the job to ensure that I am not a drug user. I have no problem taking this test since I know that there will be no issue of my passing the test or not.

I look at this email and I have to think to myself, how come a large portion of the money that I "give away" to taxes is given to those who are not required to pass a drug test? I guess this never crossed my mind until I had a discussion with some close friends about this issue just this past week.

The Associated Press wrote about this topic in January when legislation was discussed in Kentucky.

So the question remains, why shouldn't someone be asked to pass a simple drug test in order to get a welfare check? I don't have any issues at all with the government or others helping people get help or especially finding a job. In fact, I wish that I could spend more of my time helping people find work. I think this would be a contribution to society that I could feel good about, while helping others at the same time.

What I do have a problem with is the possibility that my taxes might be helping someone out who spends all day sitting on their couch, abusing drugs, and not looking for work while I spend 8-11 hours a day at work so that I can support my wife and two kids. Yes, life isn't fair but we all have to work together to make the best of it.

I do want to make it VERY clear that I do not believe that all people who are given welfare checks are drug users. This is not true at all! I know that when I was younger, our family struggled through difficult circumstances and we were given hand outs from others who knew that we were in need.

Unfortunately, there is a percentage of recipients who abuse the system and are making it more difficult for those who truly are in need of the check because they are not able to find, or are qualified, for a job. The question does remain though, imagine how much money the government could save by instituting these drug tests?

Thoughts?

No comments: