Sunday, July 6, 2008

Same Sex Marriage in California: A Statement from San Jose Bishop Patrick J. McGrath

San Jose, California Bishop Patrick J. McGrath has issued a statement discussing same-sex marriage in California. I found this statement in the Queen of Apostles Church weekly flier which we picked up this morning.

From the statement:

The Church cannot approve of redefining marriage, which has a unique place in God's creation "a faithful, exclusive and lifelong union between one man and one woman joined in an intimate partnership of life and love- a union instituted by God for the mutual fulfillment of the husband and wife as well as for the procreation and education of children." The meaning of marriage is deeply rooted in history and culture and has been shaped considerably by Christian tradition.

I call upon all people of good will to respect the dignity of every person and to protect the sanctity of marriage. Let us ask God to guide us in the same mutual respect and civil discourse that is fundamental in a free and democratic society.

I understand that within the church, marriage is considered to be a sacred union between a man and a woman but it's great to see that prejudice is alive and well in 2008! Come on! Can we get past this already. What is this, 1958?

All I am asking is that you open your eyes and minds. Although it has been a long time coming, times are changing in this country. I'm not just talking about gay rights, I'm talking about civil rights, segregation and everything else we have had to watch happen in this country over the years. I'm hoping someday that my kids can live in a world free from us having to separate certain people from others. I never want to have to explain to either of them why someone is treated different than another because of their color, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.

Whether or not I approve or disapprove of same sex marriage in California is of no consequence. We have the right to agree and we have the right to disagree. I'm choosing to disagree with the Catholic Church on this issue (and many others but that's an entirely different discussion all together).

The fact is that somewhere I read that all are created equal. We can not pick and choose who is equal and who is not. That is not what America is all about. So Patrick J. McGrath, thank you for your thoughts on this issue. I will listen to what you have to say and I will choose to disagree with you. I am glad to see that the Church is still pushing their views on their parishioners. Some things will never change.

This just happens to be the issue at hand right now and I personally have no problems with gays being allowed to marry. If they want to be miserable too, please let them :)

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.

2 comments:

Michael Ejercito said...

I am glad to see that the Church is still pushing their views on their parishioners.
And this is a bad thing?

Kreuzer33 said...

It depends on your own point of view. I think it's a bad thing but others may not agree. That is what makes this country great, the right to disagree. Thanks for stopping by!