Saturday, August 9, 2008

John Edwards Admits to Affair

John Edwards has admitted publicly that he had an affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter. Hunter's daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, was born on February 27, and interestingly enough, no father's name is given on the birth certificate which was filed in California.

The Los Angeles Times has a full timeline of the John Edwards-Rielle Hunter affair.

This announcement by Edwards could be an enormous blow to the Democratic Party, and possible Democratic nominee Barack Obama. Although Edwards is not in the running for the Democratic nomination, conclusions could be drawn by voters and could swing many key undecided voters to the side of Republican nominee John McCain.

From the Associated Press:

Former presidential candidate John Edwards, who won nationwide praise and sympathy as he campaigned side by side with his cancer-stricken wife, Elizabeth, admitted in shame Friday he had had an affair with a woman who produced videos as he prepared to launch his campaign.

Acknowledging a sex scandal he had dismissed as "tabloid trash" only last month, Edwards said he had told his wife and family long ago, but "I had hoped that it would never become public."

After the story broke Friday, Edwards released a statement that said, "In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I recognized my mistake, and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness. Although I was honest in every painful detail with my family, I did not tell the public."

"I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices," he said. "With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006, and today I take full responsibility publicly."

What is it with politicians and affairs. Do they think that they won't get caught? Don't they realize that they have cameras following them 24/7? We all remember the drama of Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. Did he think that his wife Hillary would not find out? Obviously not. Either that, or they don't care.

This will not have an effect on my vote but I'm left to wonder if it will have an effect on others. Thoughts?

No comments: